Knowing your hair porosity level is kind of a big deal. Hair porosity gives you an idea how to apply and keep moisture in your hair. I’m just going to tell you the basics because there are thousands of YouTube videos and blogs about this topic. I really didn’t wanna write it, but there may be someone out there that doesn’t know about it. So if you have no idea what hair porosity is … THIS ONE IS FOR YOU! lol
- Hair cuticles are tightly bound which makes it hard for moisture/color to get in
- If you carefully and softly run your hair down one strand of clean hair it should feel smooth.
- Strand Test: put a strand of hair in a cup of water. If it floats, it’s low porosity (leave hair in water for 3 minutes)
- Use steamers and thermal conditioning caps to open hair cuticles
2. High Porosity
- too much moisture gets in hair cuticle. It also loses moisture quickly.
- Usually is result of some sort of damage
- If you carefully and softly run your hair down one strand of clean hair it should feel bumpy
- Strand Test: put a strand of hair in a cup of water. If it sinks, it’s high porosity (leave hair in water for 3 minutes)
- Use oils and butters to lock in moisture
I have low porosity hair. I’ll post all about how I take care of my low porosity soon 🙂